Monday, February 7, 2011

Underwhelming Pompeii


Yesterday I went to Pompeii with a bunch of my German colleagues.  It’s kind of ironic that in Italy I’m learning German.  On the way there we saw a really terrible accident involving a motorcycle – later I found out that the rider died from the crash... RIP rider.  It really put a damper on an otherwise quite fun day. 

The first thing I noticed about Pompeii was how much bigger it was than I had imagined.  I was also quite underwhelmed by what I saw.  It felt like every other old run down place I’d ever been.  I didn’t feel like I saw anything there that I probably couldn’t have seen somewhere else in Italy.  There were a bunch of run of the mill ruins as far as I’m concerned.  That said, I’m still glad that I went and I don’t plan on going back. 

After Pompeii, since it was such a nice day, we decided to go for a drive to the sea.  Let’s just say that everything you’ve heard about the roads along the Amalfi coast are true.  The roads are endlessly twisty, the drivers (especially the motorcycles and scooters) are crazy and don’t understand the meaning of lanes, the views are exceptional, and the roads are very narrow.  We ended up going to a small harbor to walk around near the water and to get there had to navigate a set of switchbacks.  Let’s just say that the Renault did not have the best turning radius for the narrow switchbacks so I was doing 3 point turns (much to my dismay and to the dismay of everyone behind me) at every turn...

No comments: