Monday, February 21, 2011

5 weeks down, 2 to go


I still can’t believe that I’ve been in Italy for 5 weeks now since it feels like it’s been a whole lot longer than that.  The last few weeks has been sort of like a roller coaster – a lot of ups and downs, speed up and slow down, sunny and rainy, windy and not so windy.  Our main crane, an LG1550 in case you were curious, is finally back up and running. Our 2nd main crane, an LG 1750, will be here around the end of the week and in the middle of the week we’ll be re-starting the pre-erection (installing only the first 2 tower sections).  Hopefully the weather cooperates since the project managers want to have 33 turbines erected by March 21st... (16 are complete and 7 are pre-erected).

The other weekend I also had my first Italian discotheque experience.  Who knew that my little town had such a fun disco?  The first thing I noticed that is unlike the US is that in Italy the discotheque doesn’t open until like 1am... and after getting up at 6:30am every day for work it took some work to stay up.  The 2nd thing, which I really liked, was how when people go out they “really“ dress up.  No one dresses like a scrub in grubby jeans and a t-shirt, but then again I guess that’s true even when people aren’t going out.  The last thing was that when you bought drinks you first went to the cashier to get a drink ticket and then you went to the bartender and ordered your drink.  I dunno if that was just unique to this disco but at least they still understood “Gin and Tonic“

Finally, another note about the food.  I know that this isn’t unique to Italy but I still just don’t understand how the Italians can eat dinner so late in the evening and still be ready for work the next morning.  We eat at 7pm every night and we’re always the only ones in the restaurant and by the time we finish around 8:15-8:30 other people are just starting to arrive.  That said I am still enjoying the food - it's nice to have a little dinner crew and to try interesting new dishes.

No comments: