Monday, February 7, 2011

It's all about the little things


Well that last post was a little more serious than I had hoped for but I’ve been in a very contemplative mood this week - I feel like this post will probably continue that trend. Work has been up and down since we had our main crane go down in flames, literally.  The commissioners have arrived and I’ve changed hotels which I think has helped my mood.  We all have rooms next to each other and we meet every day for breakfast and dinner.  The toughest thing about being on the road for extended periods of time is the loneliness.  Work is work no matter where you go.  But when you’re on the road having someone to talk to and share meals with and do non-work things is the difference between having a terrible time and actually enjoying yourself.  It’s the little things that are all the difference between having a good time and a shitty time.

People who don’t travel for a living are always jealous when I tell them about all the places I “get to go“.  What I’m not sure they all realize is that when I am traveling I am going for work and not vacation, plus I generally don’t go to glamorous places.  I usually work a 6 days a week and ~10 hours/day so it’s not like I have a lot of free time anyways.  I know everyone always tells me that it’s good to be traveling while you’re young and don’t have a family but until you’ve spent more nights in a Holiday Inn in Northern Michigan than in your own house I don’t want to hear it. 

No comments: