Tuesday, November 30, 2010

One week food observations


After one week in Italy I noticed an interesting thing about the restaurants in Italy, well at least the local places I’ve been going since I’m not exactly in a touristy area.  None of the restaurants have menus or have even hinted that one exists or ever existed.  When going out with some of the Italians I work with, they simply ordered whatever it was that they wanted.  Maybe they were ordering simple things that any restaurant should have or know how to make.  Then I went out with one of my German colleagues to a different place and it was the same.  The waiter just simply asked us what we wanted, gave us a few recommendations and that was it.  Maybe it was because he knew we didn’t speak or read any Italian, but it was still interesting.  That said – the food on the whole has been great.

For dinner tonight I had a fresh salsiccia e fonghi pizza or sausage and mushroom for you English speakers.  Best 4 euros I've spent so far.  It was made fresh right when I ordered it with hand tossed dough and super fresh ingredients all cooked in a wood fire oven.  I'm pretty sure in Italy pizza is considered "fast food", well if fast food was like that in the US I'd be a very happy man.

Oh and the breakfast I've been eating is your standard European fare of pastries, breads, cereal and yogurt.  No cheese or meat platter though.  Coffee is excellent and super strong.  I love the tiny little cups with the single shots of coffee.  

No comments: