Sunday, November 28, 2010

First day at work

So Italy has been a mix of what I expected and a lot of not at all what I expected.  I expected the weather to be warm and sunny, lots of mountains/hills, picturesque views, a driving nightmare, full of beautiful women and tasty tasty food.  Well there are lots of mountains/hills, picturesque views and the food has been really good.  But it has also been cold, wet, muddy, super windy, surprisingly urban and full of crazy dogs.

Working in Italy is not at all like the US.  There's actually a pretty interesting mix of people that I work with.  For my company there's an Italian, German and American.  And we work with an Italian crane crew and delivery company and then a German and a Portuguese erection team.  Luckily the one language that everyone "knows" is English so whenever one group talks to another it's always in English.   There also hasn't been a lot of work to do yet this week since we've had high wind days pretty much every day I've been here.  It's also rained constantly which means the entire site is a perpetual mud pit.  

I haven't had too many chances to sample the local cuisine but I have tried some pizza which was pretty good since it was made fresh to order, with some super fresh ingredients and in a real wood fire oven; oh and it was only 4 euros.  I had dinner with one of my co-workers in the hotel restaurant and it was weird being there in jeans and flip flops eating in this fancy white table cloth restaurant.  I had like a full 4 course meal which was simply exquisite.  There was nothing extravagant about the food, just good fresh ingredients prepared simply.

Oh and one last thing - right near my jobsite there are these 3 crazy dogs that will just run out in front of your car in the middle of the street and start barking like mad.  And you don't want to hit them but you also can't see them since they're like pawing at your tires.  Crazy italian dogs.

No comments: